Sunday, March 25, 2007

Mt. Washington (New Hampshire) had been on my Northeast climbing tick list since I arrived out here in November. I finally had the oppurtunity to attempt it in late March. Usually Mt. Washington has brutal weather, with wind speeds in excess of 100mph and temperatures regularly below -30F. Fortunately I enjoyed beautiful spring conditions with temperatures in the 40's and moderate winds. My climbing partner and I hiked up the well packed trail towards Huntington Ravine, which is chock full of alpine ice gullies.



The above photo shows a few of the gullies. The gully left of center is Odell's Gully (II WI 2/3), the gully in the center is Central Gully (Easy Snow). Shooting off from Central Gully is Pinnacle Gully (which is not visible from this angle). Pinnacle Gully is the classic Northeast ice climb. Pinnacle Gully (III WI3) includes 4 pitches of awesome ice climbing with a real alpine feel.


This is me on the approach up into Huntingto Ravine. The approach follows a wide snow cat trail, and eventually leads to moderate snow slopes up to the gullies.


This is the first pitch of Pinnacle Gully. A great pitch.


Take a number...There were quite a few parties ahead of us. We waited in line for about a half an hour. I've never climbed in an alpine environment with so many people.


Leading up the first pitch (WI3)


Adam following the second pitch


Adam leading the third pitch. This pitch had some severe dinner plating


Back in Huntington Ravine. Yale Gully and Damnation Gully are visible behind me (both are in thin conditions). A great day on Mt. Washington.

No comments: