Sunday, January 24, 2010

Crawford Notch: Round Two

Two weeks prior I had come to Crawford Notch, NH to climb Willey's Slide (in subzero temperatures).  This trip, my goal was the climb the immensely popular Cinema Gully.  Similar in character to Willey's Slide, Cinema is only 3 pitches long and roughly the same difficulty (WI2/WI2+).  The temperature was down right balmy (nearly 20 F) and towards the end the ice was getting a bit sloppy.  Overall the climb was very enjoyable and was in spectacular condition (normally this climb can be a bit "scrappy" with barely enough ice to place a screw.  I did bottom out a couple of screws, but for the most part, the ice was thick enough.  As mentioned, this climb is popular and Saturday proved this most assuredly.  There were over a dozen climbers on the face and at one point there were four separate belays at one ledge.  I have never ice climbed with so many people and I hope never to do so again.  Well worth the drive and having to deal with the junk show of climbers.


Myself starting up the last pitch, skirting one of the many climbing parties


Pondering the masses of people accumulating below me


Looking down Cinema Gully; here they come!



Posing at the 1st belay station (Willey's Slide visible to my left)


At the base of Cinema Gully

No comments: