Wednesday, January 26, 2011

The Gunks
(Need I Say More?)

Back in November, I drove down to New Paltz, NY (about four hours away) to climb at the world famous Gunks. Needless to say, this place is not overrated and is amazing. The temperature was near perfect and the crowds were minimal. I was fortunate enough to be climbing with someone intimately familiar with the crag, so I was able to climb some classic lines. For those not familiar with the Gunks, this place offers some of the best easy/moderate lines anywhere. A 5.3 here will be near vertical and host several roofs; a 5.6 could be overhanging. The caveat of course is that this is the land of jugs. All my expectations were exceeded on the two climbs that we did. The first was Beginners Delight, three pitches of 5.3 and the second was Minty, which offered two pitches of 5.5. I will be back this spring!


Part of the first pitch of Minty; the route climbs just right of the ridge line through steepness


Joe leading the second pitch of Minty; one of the most fun pitches I have ever climbed


Me leading the third pitch of Beginners Delight; 200ft of air beneath my feet


Joe leading the 2nd pitch of Beginners Delight; he is heading for the roofs in the middle

No comments: