Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Bristol Cliffs Ice Climbing

This was Isaac's first day ice climbing this season and it was awesome!  In addition it was my first lead of the season WI2+(wet!).  We each did several laps on very wet ice.  Leading was interesting in that none of the screws I placed were "good".  I learned quickly that once I started the screw, I had to commit, because the ice was so wet and the air temp. was so cold, that the ice froze SOLID in the screw almost instantly, rendering the screw useless.  Even with a special device to clear the cores of screws, they froze solid and the tool would not work.  Led up and set a TR.  Overall, a great day out.  We also checked out the gully up to the right of the main cliff, which I had never seen before.  Cool gully with a short pitch of WI2, with finish up a pitch of WI4.  This was Isaac's first time using his new ice tools as well.  Though they are straight shafted, they worked pretty well; they just require a more exaggerated wrist flick.  



Climbing up the center flow to dismantle the toprope


The awesomeness of Bristol Cliffs



Sportin' the DAS Parka (it was cold!)


Isaac lovin' his new tools



The new tools 

2 comments:

Nate Farr said...

Can he knock on doors. I know I couldn't for about a year after climbing with straight-shafted tools.

Homey needs a belay jacket!

Alpindrulf said...

I did a pitch with his tools and they weren't bad, but I did bash my knuckles a bit. Isaac is now a proud owner of a MH down belay jacket!