Sunday, September 26, 2010


Solo on Mt. Colden

Once again, I was unable to scrounge a partner for one of my many adventures. That is something that I have noticed is lacking out in the East; a willingness to just go. In WA, it was no chore to find someone to go slog up some crappy mountain in horrendous weather or toprope in the rain. Anyway, I had to do this one on my own. This climb is considered one of the best, if not THE best "summer mountaineering" climb in the Adirondacks. The approach and climb total just over 13 miles RT, with several thousand feet of gain (most of it on the actual "climb"). Car to car it took me just over six hours, which was a bit slower than I had anticipated. The climbing in the dike was fun, with two steps that require 4th class climbing, where a fall would be bad, but the holds are bomber. The slide itself was a cake walk. Mostly 2nd class, with one 3rd class bulge. According to the guidebook, the slide is "extremely exposed", which I find very hard to believe. A nice day in the mountains, but not the climb I was hoping it would be.


Avalanche Lake


The view from the top. Looking towards Lake Placid


Looking down Colden Slide towards Avalanche Lake (just out of view)


The "steep" section of the dike

The classic Mt. Colden summit photo

No comments: